Tuesday, March 25, 2008

March 25, 2008

Pink Moon in Sierra Leone. . .

I have been marking the months and my recent travels with my whereabouts on the full moon. It’s a great way to keep track of my peripatetic existence. I have definitely covered some territory for the past 7 full moons …Maine, Ojai, Yungaburra (twice!), East Timor, Tuvalu and Vermont. Images of sparkles and moonbeams over the Damariscotta River, the Topa Topa Mountains, Lake Eacham, the Timor Sea, Funafuti Lagoon, and the snow covered pastures of Putney all swirl in my mind’s eye. Indeed, I feel very lucky.

Unfortunately my plans and hopes to return to Kashmir at the end of March were kyboshed due to increasing unrest and the bombing of a restaurant in Islamabad frequented by foreigners. My friend Todd Shea, CDRS director, made the decision to suspend volunteer activity until further notice. It’s very sad to think of all the people who continue to suffer as a result of the October 2005 earthquake and now they have these tumultuous times as a result of the elections and the aftermath of Bhutto’s assassination.
Our (Judy’s and mine) translator and surrogate son, Zubair, will be getting married (a “love” marriage) in April and I am very sorry not to be present for this momentous occasion.

In Dili, East Timor, I met Dara Cohen, a PhD candidate in political science from Stanford University in California. She told me about her experiences in Sierra Leone, in particular about the West Africa Fistula Foundation (www.westafricafistulafoundation.org), which were very intriguing. To make a longish story short, Freetown, Sierra Leone is my next destination.





I am excited and ready for this next challenge. Being able to communicate in English will definitely make things easier, though I can only speculate about all the other new challenges which will confront me. April’s “pink” moon will be spent somewhere in Sierra Leone. A wonderful way to celebrate my 54th birthday!

Love, Helen
Some facts about Sierra Leone:
Full name: Republic of Sierra Leone
Population: 5.9 million (UN, 2007)
Capital: Freetown
Area: 71,740 sq km (27,699 sq miles)
Major languages: English, Krio
(Creole language derived from English)
and range of African languages
Major religions: Islam, Christianity
Life expectancy: 41 years (men), 44 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: Leone
Main exports: Diamonds, rutile, cocoa, coffee, fish
GNI per capita: US $220 (World Bank, 2006)

No comments: