Saturday, January 9, 2010

January 10, 2010 (egads!)

“Tozosubira”…Yungaburra

“Tozosubira” is a Kirundi word roughly translated “until next time”. . .

It has been a full ten weeks here on home base in Yungaburra. I have been lucky to be able to have this opportunity to recharge and get revitalized before I head off for my second trip (almost 4 months this time) to work at Village Health Works in Kigutu, Burundi. I have had a chance to catch up with family and friends which has been wonderful. It seems as though we get emails every day now from friends, family and acquaintances reporting illness, injury and unfathomable tragedies which makes us count our lucky stars all the more. I am most grateful for my daily swims across Lake Eacham which sustain and nourish my body, mind and spirit.

Helen in Lake Eacham

Since I have been here I have been fortunate to be “far from the maddening crowd”. Yesterday I had to venture to Cairns and into the jaws of the big shopping center for some last minute errands. Oiyveh, what a culture shock…so much obesity and consumer excess, Robert aptly described the scene as “visually toxic”. It is certainly an incredible juxtaposition to life in Kigutu.

During this time I have been able to procure generous donations for Village Health Works. A solar HotPot from Solar Household Energy Inc. www.she-inc.org will help get the concept of solar cooking launched. The community health workers will now be outfitted and equipped with 50 rain ponchos from Bunnings Hardware and 50 mini dynamo hand crank flashlights from C.Crane Company www.ccrane.com. They will also have tote bags from Envirosax www.envirosax.com.au. Diabetic monitoring will now be a reality with 2500 glucostix from NSW Diabetic Association www.diabetesnsw.com.au. Financial contributions have helped purchase three Point One water filter systems to handle 540 gallons per day www.pointonefilter.com. Children and babies in the malnutrition ward will have a new supply of clothes, hats and blankets to help combat hypothermia. Thank you, thank you everyone! My bags are full to the brim!

I’m very excited to be returning to Kigutu where I look forward to reunions with the wonderful staff. This trip will be especially wonderful as I am going to be accompanied by my friend Connie Ghiglieri RN, www.conniegig.blogspot.com, who will be in Kigutu for a month. She lived here in Yungaburra in the 90’s and we haven’t seen each other in 13 years. We’ll rendezvous en route in Brussels and will hit the ground running in Kigutu with all the work that needs to be done.

To keep my luggage weight below the limit I will dress in multi-layers! It should be interesting given all the increased security. The extended forecasts for the airports I will be traveling through reveal clear skies. Given all the potential snafus with travel these days I can only “prepare for the worst and hope for the best”.

There is no word in Kirundi for “goodbye”. I like this, as goodbyes are always very hard for me. I’m not quite sure when I will be returning to Far North Queensland, probably in October 2010. So, it is “Tozosubira” Yungaburra. . .

Helen

2 comments:

Julia Robinson said...

I like the multi-layering approach à la Poisonwood Bible...hope you don't have to tie a skillet around your neck to make your bag weight. Take care and travel safely!

sarah said...

Hi Helen..I LOVE reading all about your adventures! I'm inspired and curious. Am with you in spirit and love and will follow via blog. Love, Sarah.