Sunday, February 21, 2010

Homecomings, Rewards & Gratitude. . .

The week began with the unexpected twist of Brad having to depart for the USA on Monday due to a family emergency. Since we have been working so closely, it was an adjustment for me. The void left by Connie was instantly doubled. (Connie was home in Flagstaff for four days and is now in Haiti for a week.) Both are missed greatly and we look forward to Brad’s return in March. We had been planning to work on some programs together, so I feel as though I am treading water a bit with this hiatus.

I was able to ensure that health promotion for the patients was done twice this week while they waited in triage. Elvis and I did a simple and basic power point on malaria. The feedback and questions from the patients was encouraging and our efforts seemed beneficial.
Working closely with the nurses this week in the wards has been a treat. I am continually impressed by their dedication and skills. Over my time here I have observed and worked with the nurses a great deal. I feel that I have their trust and respect and that they are willing to listen to my ideas. Now my suggestions and changes are being integrated and it is good to see that they are working well.

We have had some interesting clinical presentations, including a man severely jaundiced due to liver and kidney toxicity from herbs used by a traditional healer. Working in the malnutrition ward is very special. It’s very gratifying to watch these babes improve and gain strength.


Clovis has recovered remarkably well since his horrific burn on February 3rd. The wound has healed very well. He insists on doing much of the wound care himself and he does it very well. He has earned the nickname ‘Muganga’… ‘Doctor’, from all the staff. For a four year old, his resilience and courageous spirit is amazing and he has won all our hearts. Yesterday he was discharged and I had the idea of walking home with him to help his grandmother. Peter and Alex came too. It was only a “short” walk, just under two hours, up into the mountains behind Kigutu. Clovis was barefoot, running much of the way, wearing a large T shirt I had given him from Australia to keep the sun off his new skin. He never whinged at all which I found quite remarkable, though I wasn’t surprised. I puffed and panted in the rear as we gained more altitude up into the mist of the high hills. When we had arrived near to their home there were hoots and hollers of delight from their neighbours and relatives welcoming them. The tradition in Burundian culture is that when visitors come the hosts walk them part way home, so when we departed, Clovis, his grandmother and friends walked us back along the track until we reached the forest. Then it was goodbyes and hugs all around and we parted ways. It’s nice to have a happy ending and very rewarding to see good care truly making a difference.


Bazile has left for a two plus week trip home to Haiti to reunite with his family. He will be hugely missed. It’s hard to imagine how much worry and hardship he has endured since the January 12th earthquake. Despite this huge strain, he has always maintained a high standard of professionalism and compassion for others. He is a great source of strength and leadership for the staff here. Bon Voyage, Bazile!


It’s good having a quiet Sunday. The intensity of the work here is cushioned by the love and compassion of this lovely VHW family and the Kigutu community. I am always feeling grateful for this opportunity. I just wish I had the brain power to really learn Kirundi well as I would love to have “real” conversations with these friends….’buke buke’…I have a ‘little bit’.

Helen



Health promotion to patients


Jaundiced eyes


Clovis doing dressing with glove


Children breastfeeding, not twins


Maneno at new desk in malnutrition ward


Constantine 'Barack'


Constantine doing OB consults in OB room


Anne and Helen


Grandma and babe packed up


Stream crossing


On the track


Higher into the mist


Waiting for Helen to catch up


Home again


VHW staff...most, not all



1 comment:

Barb said...

Helen, this is such extraordinary and wonderful work at so many levels... the travels with brave cute Clovis make me smile & cry at same time. Bravo & 'love you!