Friday, April 23, 2010

“Tuzosubira, Kigutu!”. . .
(See you later, Kigutu!)

This morning I watched as the pink dawn evolved into a spectacular display of cloud formations across Lake Tanganyika over the Congo. I took some deep breaths, soaking in the sights and sounds of Kigutu waking up, enough to last me awhile. It’s my last day in Kigutu. My duffel is packed and I am ready for some travels. I have been progressing through the goodbyes and am now looking ahead to reunions with everyone at home.

Highlights of the week were seeing many of the adorable children who have been discharged from the in-patient malnutrition program, returning for follow up visits. It is EXTREMELY gratifying to witness their progress. The photos tell the story. One 3 year old girl ran up to me with arms outstretched, exclaiming “Mama Muzungu” (“White Mother”)…what more could one ask for?

On Wednesday, Brad and I made a home visit accompanied by Gerard and our steadfast guard Desiree to a 7 year old girl who had been raped by a neighbor last week. She was supposed to return for follow up on Tuesday with her father and we were very concerned. Apparently the man who assaulted her (as well as threatening her with a machete if she screamed for help) believed that having sex with a virgin would cure HIV. Horrific. Amazingly, we found her with her mother and siblings. She seemed to be doing OK and is taking the antiretrovirals as prescribed. The man is in prison and will be brought to trial. Today her father came to VHW to talk and thank us for the home visit since he was not at home when were there. It is gratifying that the family knows that the traumas of the girl’s experience can be counterbalanced with support and concern.

Last night we had the collective April birthday party for people (Peter IT, Mandela, Pascal and me) which was also a combined farewell soiree too. We had a chicken feast, drinks and plenty of dancing to follow with a good dose of tears and laughter too. Now that I am a year older, I figured it was about time for me to kill a chicken, so I did! I will miss my Kigutu “family” very much. It’s an amazing group of talented, dedicated people here and I feel absolutely privileged to have been part of their team.

“See you later, Kigutu and friends”…it’s NOT goodbye, as I feel very committed to the people and the VHW program and certainly hope to return.
Now I am off to Rwanda for a few days.

Helen



















Bukuru and Toyi

Mana at admission

Mana on discharge day

Bea side 25-2-2010

Bea returns for follow up 3kgs. gained!

Fabrice

Fabrice 2

Fabiola

Brad on home visit walk

Chicken ready for the pot...almost

Beheaded chicken

Kigutu friends

Maombi savors chicken

Achel, Ferdinand and Maombi

Frederick and Helen

Dancing

Helen in the misty mountains


No comments: