Friday, March 30, 2012

‘A Day In the Life’ from Ndera. . .

One of my favorite parts of the day is ‘commuting’ to the Gardens for Health office, about 2 -3 km from our staff residence. The road is very rough and daily getting worse with the advent of the wet season, so at times riding or walking is actually faster than driving. If I ride, I use an old bike that I recently had resurrected.

Riding the bike can be a white knuckler, keeping on the narrow track of ‘smooth’ road through the minefield of pot holes and ruts when simultaneously going down hills and avoiding pedestrians.

It’s a wonderful time to reflect on the day just past, or the day ahead, whether going solo or in the company of a co-worker, if walking. There are many wonderful ‘snapshot’ images that I see all the time, but I’m just not bold enough to whip out my camera. Lately, I have taken a few shots, as I find the iPhone fairly discreet and it also seems to capture the tone and light wonderfully. Here are a few photos from my commute as well as some of the day to day life around and about the GIH farm.

Helen


"Mwaramutse" - Good morning



Helen with Ndera bike taxi guys



Henrietta hanging out



Solange



Sun shower


Solange, Julie & Helen

Adorable Keria washing up before lunch

My pals Jean de Dieu and January



Annonciata and Caitlin heading home

Huge load going up steep hill


Children doing end of day chores

"Mwiriwe" - good afternoon





1 comment:

Jeff Hall said...

Helen, keep up the good work. I am so looking forward to coming back to Africa. Love the posts. Stay well.