Thursday, October 29, 2015



‘Carpe diem’. . . 

A long interlude between blog posts…

It’s been a time of emotional vicissitudes. Profound grief losing Maggie, one of my oldest and dearest friends, penetrated to my core, though I was very grateful she could choose the death with dignity route. Read: http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/last-rights-a-putney-woman-becomes-the-third-vermonter-to-end-her-life-using-new-law/Content?oid=2511218

Other contemporaries/friends have died too. Luckily this sadness has been balanced with experiencing fun family times sharing the joy of Annie and Vlad’s marriage, Will and Carli’s engagement, Ian’s continued exciting adventures and employment with Lindblad Expeditions/National Geographic and a long awaited kayak expedition with Robert in the Whitsunday Islands of Queensland.

During the past 6 months in Maine I have been vey fortunate to work with a very capable and inspired/inspiring team as a hospice nurse. It has been fulfilling to be serving in one of my local communities giving me new meaning and purpose in life. This opportunity altered my previous experience as a home health nurse and helped patients and their families subtly shift from ‘What is the matter?’ to more of a hospice end-of-life perspective of, ‘What matters?’  It has been intense, but an honor and privilege to work with patients and their families throughout the dying process. Working within the context of hospice constantly reminded by the need to have a 'carpe diem' approach to life, as one never knows how and when the dice will roll changing one’s life trajectory. No one gets out of life alive.

These words of F. L. Lucas’s, an English classical scholar, were written on an index card and posted on my father’s bulletin board, as well as on a small folded paper in his wallet that was discovered upon his death.

On Happiness
"Vitality of mind and body; the activity to employ and maintain them; the zest and curiosity that they can animate; freedom to travel widely in nature and art, in countries of the world and countries of the mind; human affections; and the gift of gaiety – these seem to me, then, the main causes of happiness. I am surprised to find how few and simple they are.”
F. L. Lucas The Greatest Problem and Other Essays (London 1960)
  
This passage helps me answer some of the ‘what matters?’ question for myself. Integrating the ‘carpe diem philosophy’ and On Happiness I have designed and am currently realizing a time of long yearned for reconnections, experiences and travel.

Thanks to Ian’s employee benefit perk from Lindblad in May I managed to squeeze in a dream-come-true trip to the Galapagos Islands. Absolutely fantastic!

I spent a blissful time with my first cousin (and surrogate brother) Philip Baldwin and Monica Guggisberg at their new residence and studio in Wales last week. See: baldwinguggisberg.com hares green studio slideshow. Cosy times and conversations by the wood stove, working in their gardens, roaming for hours amongst the rolling verdant hills around their place and meeting some of their neigbours and friends filled a very special week holding lots of wonderful memories.

During a long layover in Istanbul en route to Rwanda, I took advantage of Turkish Airlines free “Touristanbul” and explored the Topkapi Palace and the nearby streets. Certainly better than hanging in the airport the whole time and a quick taste of a new country.

Arriving into Kigali was thrilling anticipating a return to Gardens for Health after almost a year. Surprise reunions with Gardens for Health colleagues and friends with the primary focus of assisting with the 6th annual Thanksgiving Celebrations has already been a full time of “human affections and the gift of gaiety”.

After Rwanda my itinerary will take me to an elephant sanctuary elephantstay.com in Ayutthaya, Thailand and finally Luang Prahbang in Laos to rendezvous with Will and Carli for a few days before heading home to Robert, the lakes and life in Far North Queensland. I am lucky and I know it. Carpe diem!



Helen


Helen and Maggie

Proud and happy parents

 Vlad and Annie with Katherine Stiles

New family ties

 Carli and Will

Carli and Will with parents


Ian in Antarctica


Whitsunday paddling 



Whitehaven Beach 

 Galapagos!

 Monica, Helen and Philip in Wales

 View from Hares Green

 Istanbul Market spices

Topkapi tiles 

Welcome to Rwanda. . . 


Reunions with Naomi and Manu 

Annonciata and Helen 

Surprising Mediatrice

Carpe Deim!! 
















3 comments:

Onewomaninmaine said...

Thank you for sharing you and your journey with us. We miss you so in Maine - our hospice team is missing your good will, your quick smile, your ability to laugh through the tears, your tender touch and gentle appreciation of the human experience in all it's glorious diversity. I found a friend whom I have been longing for all my life. Safe travels, my dear one.

Unknown said...

So wonderful Helen! Thank you for sharing. Love you

Unknown said...

Dearest Helen, it is so good to catch up on your recent adventures, thoughtful insights, and beautiful family. I love the pictures. Safe travels to you and much love to you and Robert.