Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Monday, March 31, 2008

Glad to be here. . .

It has been a smooth bit of travel, with just a few hiccups. The spirit of the Sierra Leone people is very apparent right from the beginning. Lots of laughter and dancing in the aisles as the plane prepares for takeoff. They were still up when the plane was backing off from the gangway; lots of clapping and singing upon landing.

Despite arriving late at night the airport is utterly chaotic, but I’m met by a Mr. Bangura amidst the throngs who ushered me through the queues. Then there’s a 2-hour wait at the airport hotel for the WAFF driver to arrive.

Getting to Freetown, with an estimated population of about one million and across the bay from Lungi Airport, is a bit of an ordeal. A very quick hi/bye with Dara from Stanford as she is about to depart and I am shuttled off with Kabbe Jallo the driver. He drives very fast, but expertly, through the night for about 30 minutes to catch the ferry. Alas, there is a long line and the ferry people decide to not do another run that night, unless everyone in the line (about 38 cars) forks out more $. It's quite a lively scene as people carry huge loads on their heads awaiting the takeoff for town. Then it's definitely not going. I just crawl into the back of the car and sleep for a few hours. Awake to the sound of roosters and music, BBC news and the calls to prayer at the mosque which is very remindful of Kashmir. I’m glad to have the luxury of my polar fleece as a pillow.

I am then delivered safely through crazy Freetown to the residence of Mr. Pieh, WAFF’s country director, where I was well looked after. Now I am waiting at the hospital to meet him and get a bit of an orientation. I am very glad to be here and feel lucky, looking ahead to working with these lovely people.

Love, Helen

No comments: