Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bo. . .

The days seem to be melting together into a bit of a routine, though I hope I never think of experiencing African realms as ‘routine’.

The past few mornings I have been waking up before dawn and walking/running with Poppa, one of the drivers. He bundles up in his jacket and warm hat despite the heat and humidity and off we go down the Koribondo road. I am awakened anyway by early calls to prayers in a distant mosque and the din of peepers, so it’s good to just get up and get in some exercise, especially since the monsoonal rains are torrential every afternoon. We walk mostly in silence, but intersperse the reverie with “boowah” (Mende for hello) to a few passing people walking in the dawn light towards town. Poppa then sprints ahead, does push ups and other exercises while he waits for me to catch up. We then walk together and I even jog a bit. This is the pattern for the hour and a half session. It is lovely to be out watching the rising mists from the palm trees and hear the dawn chorus. At times I feel like I could be on my walk near Lake Eacham, except when a child goes by with an enormous load on his/her head of cassava leaves headed to the local markets and I am transported back to the here and now of Bo, Sierra Leone.

As I walk, I try to collect my thoughts about all that is happening. The constant theme in my head is thinking of the women here who I am serving and trying to make an improvement in their lives. What the women with obstetric fistula must endure is unfathomable; dealing with the constant stench of draining urine, the misery and hard work of keeping as dry and clean as possible, the excoriated skin as a result of the urine, the depression and all the social implications. Despite all this, it is even more amazing to witness their frequent spontaneous eruptions into song and dance. Currently the youngest on the ward of 26 is 15 and the oldest is about 35.

There are several in their late teens who often tease each other by hiding under the beds and then springing out for a bit of a pillow fight. Their hardy spirits are definitely palpable. Even though I can’t speak Mende or Temne, the local tribal languages, I have managed to learn all their names and it is good to be able to greet them by name as I pass through the ward. Last Sunday when they didn’t have literacy classes, I sat with them and let them take turns plaiting my hair. I got many of them to put the chairs in a circle and we all did backrubs on each other. Lots of giggles!



































I have also had the pleasure of having Julia Robinson with me. Her company is wonderful and it is great to have her insights and assistance. We are getting the volunteer guest house situated and ready for Dr. Maggi and Amanda Counce’s arrival next week. We have set up a bit of a gas burner, have hurricane lamps and a good water system. Once the house has power, things will be different, but for now we are managing well.
It’s cosy having evening chats and debrief together about the day.






































I have been having a few meetings concerning the hospital facility which have been challenging and teaching me more about management. We also had a visit with the medical coordinators of MSF and visited their clinics and hospital. Their organisation is certainly impressive. This AM we observed Dr. Koroma doing a Cesarean section on one of our patients at the Bo Government Hospital. His expertise was apparent and reassuring to know that we have an excellent surgeon as our medical director.

We are working out the internet with a portable wireless modem. We use it most when we have access to power, to ensure that the battery doesn’t go kaput, hence the spotty replies and email activity. The heavy rains seem to affect it too.

Some good news: The container SHOULD be released tomorrow!

The news from the USA is as daunting as ever. Love hearing from people, so keep writing to helenweld@gmail.com when you have a minute.

Love,
Helen

No comments: