Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September 4, 2008

Reactivating blog...off to Sierra Leone

The lists are almost crossed off and I am heading off tomorrow until the end of the month to work with/for the West Africa Institute (the new umbrella organisation for the West Africa Fistula Foundation) in Bo, Sierra Leone. This trip will be comprised of unloading the 40 foot container which has just arrived from Texas and getting the groundwork laid for future volunteers. It's good to be returning to a familiar place and friends. I have a rather odd assortment of items in my bags including medical and nursing books, random medical supplies, medicines and 1000 donated condoms.

It's getting late and my writer friend Jenn Barton who will coming with me in January for a few weeks when I return for about 4 months, has just written a wonderful goodbye note which I will do my best to assimilate. This is an excerpt:

"The only certainty about Africa is uncertainty, and yet, within the context of that uncertainty lie the most rich and life-affirming gifts. So embrace the unknown, allow things to unfold as they may, and don't forget to enjoy each day, the beauty of that incredible earth mirrored in the faces of beautiful people...can't wait to join you."

I am excited. I will also keep positively focused on the unfolding political saga in the USA and trust that hope will prevail over fear.

Please keep in touch via email.
Helen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish you and your team good luck for your september 08 stay in SL.

Regards

Taimur Rafique
Abbottabad
Pakistan