Friday, May 3, 2013

Post Grad. . .



‘Post grad’. . .

Last November when I departed from Gardens for Health International (GHI) after my third stint, I was surprised and touched by the staff having a graduation ceremony (quasi roast) in my honor. I laughed and cried throughout the whole event. In keeping with the GHI graduation tradition, there was a skit, a graduation certificate and the gift of two chickens (which have since been enjoyed by staff for dinner).



Now I have returned for a “post grad” stint and it is heartening to witness the positive changes and progress on the farm over the past five months. Although I am just here for a few weeks this time, I look forward to collaborating with my amazing colleagues on strategic planning for the expansion to a new district with the addition of four new health centers (beginning in September); finessing training materials, and helping with a series of real GHI graduations for mothers who have completed the most recent cycle of trainings.



It’s wonderful to be ‘home’ in this part of the world. Despite jetlag I walked to the office at dawn. How I love the early light filtering through the clouds across the verdant hills, hearing a woman singing as she showers at the back of her home, sharing lunch at the farm table and watching a mini murmuration of gold finches over the gardens. Getting many ‘welcome back’ hugs from staff was especially revitalizing. As always, I am grateful and honored to be part of this special community again.


Helen


Claire as Helen in the skit


Graduation skit for Helen



GHI children doing the skit

 Bravo wearing testimonial statements

 Helen with Cedric and chickens

 Helen's graduation 2012

 Cedric responding to:
'SMILE FOR THE CAMERA!'

 First lunch back at the farm table
 May Day sunset


No comments: