Sunday, September 13, 2009

BURUNDI BOUND. . .

It’s our 24th wedding anniversary and it’s hard to imagine that all those years have passed! After a wonderful Maine summer our family has scattered to the winds…we will be spread over 4 continents and 1 ocean soon (Robert in Australia, Will in China, Annie in Oregon, Ian working on a ship off the Pacific coast and me in Burundi). Many people do not know where Burundi is located…see maps above. (Thanks to Robert my blogmeister soulmate)

It is a bittersweet situation for me to not be reuniting with my community of friends in Sierra Leone, yet I feel reassured that I will return someday to offer my services again. The opportunity to work in Kigutu, Burundi www.villagehealthworks.org will be challenging and provide a terrific opportunity for professional and personal growth.

The plan is that I will depart here on September 22 and will be in Burundi for six weeks. During this time I will get oriented to the clinic, culture and community of Kigutu. My focus will be working as a nurse doing primary care alongside Dr. Dziwe Ntabe and Dr. Merlino, assisting with implementing a nutritional program, training community health workers and coordinating volunteers. I will immerse myself more in all the work which needs to be done when I return for almost 4 months in January 2010.

This is an exciting time for the community run clinic as it is being given an infusion of attention since the recent launch of Tracy Kidder’s new book Strength in What Remains. www.tracykidder.com

Meanwhile, I am doing my best to pack prudently and procure necessary items for the clinic. Once again I feel grateful for the support of family and friends as I embark on an exciting new chapter.


Village Health Works site in Kigutu.


Lake Tanganyika from clinic site

Photos by Fran Kidder


No comments: